The Investigator Award is intended to support experienced postdocs wishing to transition to running their own research project with the support of an appropriate host institution. The application requires the sponsorship of the host institution; the PL-funded researcher may be partnered with or embedded within an existing lab but is intended to maintain an independent research direction in collaboration with Protocol Labs. The Protocol Labs Investigator Award consists of:
- Two years of contributions to compensation at $80,000 per year, and two years of contributions to benefits up to a maximum of $25,000/year.
- A technology grant to cover initial equipment purchases/lab start-up in the amount of $10,000.
- A mobility grant in the amount of $5,000 for conference travel, including to two PL Research Summits. Up to $2,000 may be used to cover relocation expenses.
Protocol Labs Investigators will be invited to participate in biweekly meetings of the PL independent Research team and a quarterly internal meeting of Protocol Labs researchers. Investigator Grant recipients will also be invited to discuss their research at annual PL-hosted research symposia.
This application may be submitted by the candidate or an administrative staff member from the host institution. The submitter will serve as the primary point of contact for all communications regarding this application.
Evaluation of applications will occur in two rounds: one for applications received on or before the second Thursday of April, and a second round for applications received on or before the second Thursday of September. Decisions will normally be made and communicated to applicants within four weeks of these submission deadlines.
*In addition to the requirements for our other fellowships, applicants for the Investigator Award will need to submit:
- A letter from an authorized signatory at your intended host facility confirming that they will host you for the duration of the grant period.
- A letter from the PI of your intended research collaboration attesting to your ability to carry out your proposed research program and indicating their willingness to participate in your research program.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.